Electroless Nickel-PTFE Plating
Engineering properties of nickel...lubricity of PTFE...repeatable coating of uniform thicknessElectroless nickel-PTFE is a nickel-phosphorous-polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) co-deposit on metal substrates. The process yields a surface with the engineering properties of nickel and the additional lubricity of PTFE. As with standard electroless nickel, the deposit occurs via an autocatalytic chemical reaction so that a reliable, repeatable coating of uniform thickness is generated. This makes it possible to effectively coat parts with sharp edges, deep recesses, seams, threads, and complex geometries. In some cases, the use of the electroless nickel/Teflon® provides lubricity sufficient to eliminate the use of other lubricants.
Chem Processing's electroless nickel/PTFE coating can withstand temperatures up to 500ºF.
The appearance of the plated finish is usually dull silver-gray, and can be used as a non-reflective coating for military applications. Electroless nickel/PTFE can be applied over a variety of substrates including stainless steel, aluminum, copper, brass and others. This process is difficult to perform well, but Chem Processing, Inc. draws on over three decades of experience to provide a consistent, high-quality finish. For more information on this process, or other processes that incorporate fluoropolymers, please contact Chem Processing, Inc.
This process conforms to AMS 2454.
Chem Processing Inc. Electroless Nickel/PTFE Plating Capabilities:
- Plating thickness range of 0.0001 to 0.0050 inches
- Typical coefficient of friction of 0.20 or lower (for more information on friction properties of coatings see our Tribology page )
- Masking for selective surface plating
- Salt spray corrosion testing per ASTM B 117
- Hydrogen embrittlement relief baking in AMS 2750, Class 5 ovens
- Thickness analysis using XRF instrumentation and standard metrology
Applications of Electroless Nickel/PTFE Plating:
- Low reflectivity finish for military applications
- Dry lubrication for rifle bolts
- Low surface-energy/ready-release coating for molds
- Low friction coating AR-15 bolt carriers
Chem Processing Inc. offers Nadcap accredited Electroless nickel-PTFE plating services to Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, the Midwest, North and South Carolina, and beyond. CPI is strategically located by highway routes to Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, St. Louis, and Minneapolis. The CPI facility is minutes from Rockford Chicago International Airport, a major Midwestern air freight hub, enabling efficient door-to-door delivery across the United States or across the globe.