ChemFilm (Nadcap Accredited)
Chemfilm, sometimes called aluminum chromate, Alodine or Iridite, is a chemical conversion coating that is used to passivate aluminum. It protects aluminum substrates from corrosion and serves as a base for organic coatings while leaving dimensions unchanged. Chemfilm is applied by dipping, spraying or brushing. It is sometimes applied alongside Type II Anodizing and can be used to repair minor damage to anodized surfaces (up to 5% of surface area per MIL-A-8625). The resultant coating is dependent on the substrate condition and not intended for decorative use.
Chem film per MIL-DTL-5541 Class 3 is electrically conductive. The best corrosion protection is provided by chem film perMIL-DTL-5541 Class 1A.
Chem Processing offers both trivalent (RoHS compliant) and hexavalent chromium based chem film.
Chem Processing Inc. CHEMFILM Capabilities:
- Precision masking
- In-house salt spray testing per ASTM B117
- RoHS compliant Chem Film (MIL-DTL-5541 Type 2)
- Repair of anodized surfaces (per MIL-A-8625)
- Post chemfilm Military CARC primer and paint (see CARC page)
- AMS-2473 & 2474
- PN 14.12 (UTC Aerospace Systems/Hamilton Sundstrand)
- PS 114 (UTC Aerospace Systems/Hamilton Sundstrand)
- HS 240 (UTC Aerospace Systems/Hamilton Sundstrand)
- WS 9030 (UTC Aerospace Systems/Hamilton Sundstrand)
- 580-0036 (Rockwell Collins)
- SP-870 (Woodward)
Typical Chemfilm Applications:
- Aerospace/Aviation: brush-on chemfilm is used in the repair of anodized surfaces and used general corrosion protection on all manner of aluminum aircraft components
- Defense/Military: chemfilm is used as a base coat for CARC paint on ordnance, vehicles and tactical equipment
- Maritime/Naval: chemfilm provides corrosion protection in saltwater environments
- Electrical Industry: chemfilm is used for corrosion protection on housings
Chem Processing Inc. offers Nadcap accredited chemfilm/alodine/iridite services to Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, the Midwest and beyond. CPI is strategically located by highway routes to Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, St. Louis, and Minneapolis. The CPI facility is minutes from Rockford Chicago International Airport, a major Midwestern air freight hub, enabling efficient door-to-door delivery across the United States or across the globe.