Aluminum Anodizing is an electrochemical process that creates a thin aluminum oxide film on the surface of aluminum substrates. The resulting anodized film is electrically non-conductive, protects the aluminum against corrosion and is resistant to wear. Aluminum anodizing is used widely in aerospace, automotive, defense, and medical applications.
The most common specification governing aluminum anodizing is MIL-A-8625, which denotes three different finishes: Type I, a thin film generated in chromic acid and used mostly by the aerospace industry for corrosion protection, Type II, the most common form of anodizing produced in sulfuric acid and often dyed different colors, and Type III, or hardcoat anodizing, which is a thick film that is highly abrasion resistant due to its surface hardness. Chem Processing offers all of these finishes.
Chem Processing Inc. Aluminum Anodizing Capabilities:
- Type I Chromic Acid Anodizing
- Type II Sulfuric Acid Anodizing (clear & dyed)
- Type IIB Thin Film Sulfuric Acid Anodizing
- Type III Hard Coat Anodizing
- Hard Coat Anodizing/Teflon® Blend
- Selective Masking for Multiple Finishes (such as chem film and type II on the same part)
- Rockwell Collins, UTC Aerospace Systems (UTAS), and Woodward approved
- MIL-A-8625 Type I, II, IIB, III
- MIL-STD-186 (Missile Systems)
- ASTM B580-79 (Type A & G)
- 580-0008 (Rockwell)
- MIL-F-14072 (Ground Based Eqpt)
- AMS 2468, 2469, 2470, 2471, 2472
- SP-222 (Woodward)
- SP-822 (Woodward)
- CP 1000 (UTC Aerospace Systems/Hamilton Sundstrand)
- PN14.06-01 (UTC Aerospace Systems/Hamilton Sundstrand)
- PN14.06-03 Thin Film Anodizing (UTC Aerospace Systems)
- 580-0008 (Rockwell Collins)
Properties of Aluminum Anodizing:
- Corrosion Resistance: The aluminum oxide film is resistant to atmospheric and saltwater environments.
- Electrical Insulation: Aluminum oxide film is dielectric.
- Paint Adhesion: Aluminum oxide film is provides an excellent surface for painting.
- Adhesive Bonding: Aluminum oxide film improves adhesion and bond strength.
- Cleanability: Anodized coatings withstand the hydrogen peroxide commonly used in medical sterilization.
Chem Processing Inc. offers aluminum anodizing services to Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, the Midwest and beyond. CPI is strategically located by highway routes to Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, St. Louis, and Minneapolis. The CPI facility is minutes from Rockford Chicago International Airport, a major Midwestern air freight hub, enabling efficient door-to-door delivery across the United States or across the globe.